Travel back to the Middle Ages.
A real knight's castle
Imposing Lockenhaus Castle is still the only castle in Austria with the image of a real knight's castle. During a visit to the castle, you can explore the exhibitions and historical rooms (knights' hall, torture chamber, cult room, etc.) or take a guided tour covering the history of the castle and all of its past inhabitants from the Knights Templar to the scary Bloody Countess, not to mention its present inhabitants, Europe's largest colony of Geoffroy's bats that makes its home in the attic.
The historic atmosphere, a tastefully furnished castle hotel, informative and exciting guided tours, numerous cultural events and the castle tavern with its tasty culinary offers make Lockenhaus Castle a unique location for an excursion, an event, a seminar, or a holiday in the heart of sunny Burgenland.
The castle was built around the year 1200 high above the Guens Valley. At that time it was named Leuca. From the year 1270 it belonged to the Counts of Güssing and between the 14th
centuries, ownership often changed hands. Margaret and Paul Anton Keller acquired the castle in ruinous condition in 1968. They sold their entire property and invested everything they had in the preservation of Lockenhaus Castle, a unique European cultural monument. Since 1980, the board of trustees of the "Prof. Paul Anton Keller-Foundation" manages this imposing knight's castle.
Weddings & Events
Getting married at Lockenhaus Castle means celebrating your most beautiful day in a wonderful romantic setting. But there is more the jsut ambiance at this venue: enjoy unforgettable hours in stylishly renovated, historic rooms and excellent food served up by the Castle Tavern's staff with their decades of wedding experience.
Whether a company trip, an incentive event, a seminar, a teambuilding session, a private party, an excursion, a week-long school trip, or a children's birthday - here you can experience the unique atmospher of Lockenhaus Castle and the beautiful landscape of Geschriebenstein Nature Park.
- Medieval Games / SquireTraining for children and adults
- Teambuilding coaching on request (trainer Peter Heisz)
- Segway Fun Path in the castle garden and tour around the castle lake
- Archery workshop, drum workshops
- Firewalking seminar
- Master of Ceremonies / Minnesinger / Reenactment of medieval combat (Prima Nocte)
- And much more!
To experience the whole flair of Lockenhaus Castle, you have the possibility to stay in one of nine stylish, historic rooms directly inside the castle. Aligned along the castle wall and accessible from the courtyard, there are 32 comfortable, spacious family rooms with balcony, bath/WC and kitchen. On the top floor we have 14 affordable attic rooms with bath or shower.
Children's & School Groups
For years we have been successfully specialized in school, children and teenager groups from all over Austria. In addition to the castle hotel with over 40 rooms, we also offer a comprehensive program, such as:
- Children's squire training, children's mercenary meal (knight's meal in the castle)
- Forest-related educational games, guided tour of the local Heiling ice-factory
- Bat exhibition with researcher's pass - largest Geoffroy's bat colony in Central Europe
- Free access to the castle: exhibitions, riddle rally, playground, giant chess, medieval bowling alley, campfire site, etc.
- School seminar rooms for bad-weather program
- Our castle tavern provides for the kids' culinary well-being (full board, snack, breakfast ...)
- Swimming pool in the village (walking distance)
Ideal for sports weeks: football training field, tennis courts and swimming pool in the village, well-developed bike routes, riding, hiking and running trails. Idyllically embedded in the Geschriebenstein- Irottkó Nature Park, with the Lutzmannsburg Family Spa in the vicinity. The interactive exhibition "Friends of the Night" informs children at Lockenhaus Castle about the bats and the program to protect them.
We would be happy to send you an offer. Inquiries: Tel: 02616/23 94 or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Contact & Info
A-7442 Lockenhaus, Eugen Horvath Platz 1
Phone: +43 2616 2394-0
June - 31st
daily from 9am to 6pm (last admission 5pm)